Friday, April 30, 2010

One more for the list.

Today started really early because I couldn't sleep so I got out of bed at 4 am to start my adventuring. The weather is calling for rain again on Saturday and Sunday so once again I ended up trying to cram a lot into Friday. I met up with a friend and we went down to this area to look for the common moorhen. They say they are common but I have not seen one until today. It was a much easier search than I expected because as soon as I came up on the pond I saw it foraging along the edge of the water. What an interesting looking bird. When I showed my girlfriend the pictures she said "It looks like it has that Halloween candy called candy corn on it's face and it has matching legs". We watched that for a while then explored a few other areas with no luck so we went our separate ways. As soon as we did, my friend discovered a few ponds filled with waterfowl and I stumbled on a few vultures and groundhogs that were not shy at all. I even saw a horned lark on the side of the road that had a beak full of bugs. It was such a good day, I ended my searching early and came home to get some stuff done around the house. I hope tomorrow morning it doesn't rain for a while so I can do some more exploring.




1 comment:

  1. Nice reflection shot Scott! I love this image of the vulture. As you know, we have one at the wildlife centre...interesting...did you know the reason its cage is farther back is because if it is too close to the front, next to humans it will puke?

    ReplyDelete