Friday, July 30, 2010

Awenda Provincial Park

It was a good weekend at the lovely Awenda Provincial Park. This was my second time there and I really enjoyed myself once again. I didn’t have much time to pursue wildlife pictures but that didn’t stop me from seeing and enjoying it anyway.
As soon as we were set up at our campsite we decided to walk to the beach for a swim. Just as we started walking we saw a red-tailed hawk perched on a tree that overhung the road only two campsites down from ours. I didn’t have my large lens with me so no great pictures this time but it was still cool to see.

While we were at the beach we saw a tern, some seagulls, a kingfisher, a squirrel and we heard a loon off in the distance. We also had four chipmunks hanging around our campsite that were fun to watch. I know that chipmunks are a regular sight at campsites around Ontario but this time I found myself being surprised by their actions. I kept seeing them gathering leaves in their mouths and taking them into a hole in the ground. I have never seen this before and it was neat to watch.

We went back down to the beach late at night to enjoy the stars and they were amazing. With the moon almost completely dark, we were easily able to see them. I snapped a few pictures but without a remote it is had to get great pictures.

One of my favorite things to do at campgrounds is to check out the moths in the bathrooms. There are always so many different types and ones I have never seen before. I didn’t take my camera in for obvious reasons but there were some really cool ones in there.

On Sunday I woke up really early and was able to hear what I think was a great horned owl calling quite close to our campsite. I wasn’t able to find it but it was nice to know it was there. It also might explain why I didn’t see any other animals like raccoons, rabbits or skunks which are usually as common as the chipmunks in our parks.

Anyway I had a great time and highly recommend Awenda as a camping destination.



2 comments:

  1. I have camped at Awenda and found it a very nice place as well. I had Barred Owls calling while I was camping there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awenda is a jewel -
    We heard barred owls at Bon Echo, not at Awenda yet. It is quite the experience to hear them when you're from the city.

    ReplyDelete