Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My butt is on fire!

So on Sunday night we were in Guelph and didn’t leave until late so it was dark for our drive home. It was still a good drive though. We got to see a momma raccoon with four of her babies. They were very small and really cute to watch as they followed her around.

We also stumbled across this field that was just filled with fireflies. I shut the car lights off and just watched in amazement for a minute but I was so tired that I didn’t want to stop for a photo but last night I went back. It was so amazing to see how many bugs were in this field. I watched as the light slowly started to disappear and the bugs started to emit this amazing spectacle. It took me a while to figure out how to photograph these bugs but I was able to catch a few shots that I am pretty happy with.

There is more to this story though. I always seem to attract some attention whenever I am out. People always seem to be confused as to what I am doing. They will slow down and looked very puzzled as they drive by slowly and then they often leave still scratching their heads. I have been approached a few times by property owners asking what I was up to. On the weekend I had someone stop to see if I was broken down because he saw me sitting in my car for an hour. That time I was watching a fox den but back to the case in hand.

So all of a sudden a car drives by slowly and then they turn and park right beside me so I turn and look and it was the O.P.P. So I headed up to talk with them. It was a very nice lady and as I approached her car she said are you taking pictures of the fireflies. I guess she must have seen my equipment at the edge of the field. I explained what I was up to and she proceeded to tell me that the reason she was here was that she had a call of a suspicious looking vehicle and person at this location. I said yep that is me. She asked for my name, address and phone number and then left saying enjoy the bugs.

I was there just over an hour and a half and I had such a fun time. I learnt so much about my camera in that short little time and seeing the bugs were just amazing. These guys were really challenging subjects and I really want to go back again for another stab at it. Even though I was really tired it took me a while to get to sleep because I was so excited about the fun I just had. It is kind of funny to have so much fun with bugs especially after me freaking out about the ticks.

4 comments:

  1. Those pictures look absolutely surreal. Totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be a come to visit ON ad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots. I just might try to do this. Long exposure?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Dwayne, I set it to 30 secs and it seemed to work well. A street lamp ended up coming on though and it was too dark/late for me to move and set up in a new position. If I go back I will make sure a light is not there. It worked okay.

    ReplyDelete