Monday, May 17, 2010

More new sightings

I had to work Friday morning but I got out for a quick drive in the afternoon to see what I could find. Even though the sun was out, it was really windy which didn’t make it favorable to see stuff. I did come across a snowshoe hare and snapped a few pictures as a turkey walked right in front of it. Saturday the weather wasn’t nice at all so I just stayed home but on Sunday the sun came out making it impossible for me to stay home. So I packed up the car and headed to the lakefront. There we found many warblers some of which I have seen before but the new ones were blackburnia, palm, chestnut-sided, black-throated blue and magnolia. Other new ones that I also got to see were a warbling vireo, dunlin, canvasback ducks and a spiny soft-shell turtle. I neat thing about the canvasback duck is that their numbers were so low in the 80's they ended up being protected but their number increased greatly in the 90's due to hunting being stopped of this species and protection of their breeding grounds. It was really cool to see the spiny soft-shell turtle as well because it is currently on the species at risk. I didn't even know that they were this far east. That was a very exciting surprise and it was big too. I would say roughly about the same size as a snapping turtle if not larger. Very Cool!! Can't wait until next weekend.







2 comments:

  1. It's awesome to be able to see so many different species in one weekend, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big turtle relaxing in the sun.

    ReplyDelete